Equity

What I have learned about Equity is that it is the standard of which us as educators should do our best to achieve. We want to be able to treat our students fairly, as to be able to do that, we need to focus on Equity rather than Equality. To start, the concept of Equity is that of which everyone gets the necessary resources and opportunities that they need to achieve due to either incapability or lack of it where they are. An example of this would be more community focused efforts in schools in poor neighborhoods because they need more resources to give their students a chance at being able to be the most successful that they are able to be. 

In education, Equity is making sure that people are treated fairly, and that does not always mean equally. For example, as we previously learned in this unit, developing a strategy to make sure you do not develop favorite students is incredibly important in the classroom. One of these strategies is to have either notecards or popsicle sticks that you go through the day in a random order. You would pick one, have the student answer a question or talk to them about the material, and then put their name aside and not pick it again until you have gone through all of the students. The teachers who used this specific strategy to prevent favoritism mentioned that they put students who had special needs name’s in multiple times, so they would be more involved or be able to interact more with the lessons. This, to me at least, is a very important strategy to be able to include these students who need extra help or prompting to join, so they will be able to be involved when they wouldn’t be able to before. This is an example of Equity in the classroom, as I have previously stated. 

Equity’s role in education is to make sure that people get the support they need to be the most successful in their education. I will be especially focusing on this concept in my learning of being an educator because I think it is incredibly important to realize and know that people aren’t able to get the same resources at birth, even if they really need them. I want to do more research on the subject and find more strategies so I will be able to implement strategies in my (Eventual) classroom that will allow all of my students to thrive under the circumstances.

No Comment